As part of Food Starter’s Popup Roundtable events, we’re pleased to have Lisa Campbell a Cannabis Portfolio Specialist at Lifford Wine & Spirits and Chad Chad Finkelstein a Partner and Registered Trademark Agent in Dale & Lessmann’s Corporate Commercial Group lead our next topic: What Food and Beverage Entrepreneurs Should Know About Cannabis.
Popup Roundtables are informal 2-hour presentations where food entrepreneurs have an opportunity to interact with food business experts and fellow entrepreneurs. If you are exploring cannabis food and beverage market opportunities, this session is for you.
About this Roundtable:
The legalization of cannabis creates a wide range of opportunities for food entrepreneurs looking to create marijuana-based edibles. But it’s more complicated than whipping up a new formula for hash brownies. At this event, Food Starter brings together the wisdom of cannabis edibles experts to give an overview of licensing, regulation, marketing, flavour profiles of cannabis, co-packing agreement and packaging and labelling considerations.
Over the years, Lisa Campbell became a true cannabis expert by working extensively in international drug policy with Canadian Students for Sensible Drug Policy and is currently the Chair of the Ontario Cannabis Consumer & Retail Alliance. Lisa is now launching a cannabis subsidiary for Lifford Wine & Spirits, helping cannabis companies navigate the emerging cannabis industry across Canada and beyond. Lifford Cannabis Solutions works with cannabis companies to help their brands come to market across all ten provinces, leveraging Lifford’s national salesforce and longstanding partnerships with provincial control boards. Lisa holds a Master of Environmental Studies from York University and is as a Canadian Institutes for Health Research (CIHR) Universities Without Walls alumnus.
Topics Lisa will cover:
- Micro-processing licenses & sourcing legal cannabis, wholesale pricing
- Limitations on cannabis marketing & product diversity
- Ways of extracting cannabis for food and beverage (oils and powders)
- Flavour profiles of cannabis: terpenes 101
- How to host a private cannabis dinner legally
- Cannabis workshops and transformational services
- Limitations on Import and Export for medical and scientific use
- Ways to collaborate with licensed producers
Chad Finkelstein is a partner and registered trademark agent in Dale & Lessmann’s Corporate Commercial Group. Chad’s practice includes all areas of business law with an emphasis on franchise law, licensing and distribution, intellectual property law, advertising and marketing law and gaming law. Chad is an advisor to domestic and foreign franchise companies, brand owners, manufacturers, distributors, licensors, advertisers, marketers, gaming operators and IT service providers. He is a frequent writer and speaker for industry publications and events, including contributing a regular column on branding legal issues to the National Post and Restaurants Canada. Chad has been recognized as a leading franchise lawyer in Canada by Who’s Who Legal: Canada, Lexpert, Chambers, The Best Lawyers in Canada and Franchise Times.
Topics Chad will cover:
- When will edibles be legal?
- What kinds of licenses will be required to manufacture and sell edibles?
- What are the branding, marketing, packaging and labelling considerations when preparing for manufacturing and selling edibles?
- What corporate structure should I consider? Will the identities of my key investors be made public?
- What steps should I take to protect my brand?
- What terms should I look for in a co-packer agreement?
Who should attend?
Food & Beverage Entrepreneurs
You’ll have a chance to observe Food Starter’s 20,000-square foot shared-use facility where over 130 food and beverage entrepreneurs come build innovative businesses. The Roundtable will take place at one of our food safe production space. We ask that you please come prepared to follow our dress code for the event: pants and closed toe shoes required for the event in the facility. No shorts, skirts, and open toe shoes are allowed.
Non-Food Starter Clients: $49.99 plus tax
Active Food Starter Clients: $34.99 plus tax (Contact Mingki Choi for special Food Starter client pricing)
We hope to see you there!